Monday, May 12, 2008

And why is the carpet wet Todd?

Saturday Eden and I drove down to Orem to spend some time with Brittany and Clay. We had a nice time eating Krispy Kream Doughnuts and chips and salsa and watching Batman Begins. In fact, we had such a good time that we decided to down to visit them again yesterday...well, Sunday dinner was planned last week but still...it was nice. They made a bunch of fried food: Fried Jalapenos, French Fries, BBQ Chicken Wings, Fried Chicken, Corn Dogs, Onion Rings...all tasted great. And for dessert I brought one of those no bake Oreo pies...mmm...We ate and played a few games, I lost playing PIT...and I lost bad! Somehow I always ended up with either the Bull or the Bear or sometimes both, I wish we hadn't kept score, it would have made me feel better about myself.

When we got home we walked down the stairs and Eden said that she thought it smelt kind of musty down there. I didn't really think anything of it, I just wanted to go to bed. I walked into my room and took my shoes off and went to put something away and I thought I had stepped onto something that was wet, maybe my water bottle had leaked. I took another step in the area and yep that spot was wet too...I kept feeling around the carpet and everywhere I stepped near the wall it was wet. I wasn't sure what had happened but we were thinking maybe that there was a leak coming in through the walls, so we checked around the walls and they were perfectly dry. I walked upstairs and asked one of my roommates if they had turned on the water to water the lawn and she said that they had done it earlier but didn't notice anything wrong, no leaking spicket or anything that would cause that to happen. My bedroom is right below that spicket so we are thinking that maybe there is a leak in the pipe or something. Eden checked her bedroom and it's perfectly dry. I moved out some stuff into the family room last night like my computer and a few other things here and there and I thought that would be sufficient. I didn't realize quite how far the water had spread by that time. Eden and I stuck our feet under the bed to see how far under the bed it went and It went all the way from my computer desk all the way to the end of my bed and into my closet. I was too tired to move the rest of the furniture last night so I waited until this morning to do that...what a mistake! I started with moving my dresser thinking that would probably be easiest. The bottom of it was still wet but luckily the backboard is fine. Then I went and emptied my bookcase and moved it to the living room. This one isn't in that great of shape...since it's particle board the sides are peeling up and the backboard is a little warped. I'm glad it didn't eat through anymore of my books (Last night I found one of my books laying on the floor and the last 100 pages or so were wet). Then I went to work emptying my computer desk and disconnecting all the parts and when I got that cleared off I moved the desk and it's in the same shape as the bookcase, the backboard is warped and the bottom shelves are wet...which leaked through and started to soak through some of my cookbooks. You can tell looking at the back of it how far up the water spread through the furniture but I hope that they dry out soon so I can put my room back together. The only thing that I haven't moved it my bed, since it's so huge I can't move it by myself but I'm hoping that the water didn't cause any damage to the headboard. So that's been my morning so far. One of my roommates said that she'll call Marty (Our landlord) this morning but I don't know if she's done that or not and I don't have his phone number so hopefully someone can come out and fix it so that it doesn't happen again...I'll take pictures when I can and keep you updated.

2 comments:

K+N+N+A said...

This just may be the single greatest title for a blog entry in the history of mankind.

Heather and Jason said...

HAHA! Thanks Kevin and Nicole! I was pretty pleased with myself too...