Saturday, July 19, 2008

I am not a fan of the DMV Driver's License renewal process!

I'm not sure why I do it but I always want to start my blog with the word "Well" so I decided to start it off with this sentence instead. Last Friday (6/11) Jason and I went back to Lagoon and this time I remembered to layer on the sunscreen. I didn't get burnt at all...I know you are all so proud of me. The most disappointing thing of the day though was that one of our favorite rides was closed due to a malfunction of some sort and they were waiting for a part to arrive. I did however ride Blastoff Reentry or something along those lines, it's supposed to be like Drop Zone at Great America but I don't think it's quite as high...I'll admit, I thought I was going to pee my pants but I'm sure you didn't really need to know that. It takes you up 215 feet and lets you sit there for a little bit before dropping you...We also went on a few water rides that we didn't get to the last time we went one of which was called Rattlesnake Rapids. We were waiting in line in the hot sun for a bit and watching people as they came off thinking oh they aren't too wet...A lot of them were pretty dry and there were only a few that looked completely soaked. I was really hoping that I wouldn't get too wet but alas, that didn't happen. It was just the two of us and these two other guys in the circular raft and I got the brunt of it, even though I was the lightest person in that boat. They even take you under a waterfall which is crazy since you are already soaked, I hid behind Jason during that part because of course it was coming straight for me. Luckily after that we went home so I didn't have to walk around completely soaked and feeling uncomfortable. Later that night we had a Stake Luau and we were pretty pumped for that they were going to have a catered dinner and hula dancers. We walked in and the catered dinner was basically pulled pork (I think) and a ball of rice and a fruit medley of sorts, I was a little disappointed but it was still pretty good. After that we sat around waiting for the show to start, and once it did it was a lot of fun. They showed us dances from New Zealand, Samoa, Tahiti and other places that I don't really remember now, they even had the fire dancers which is basically why I went and I wasn't disappointed. It was awesome!

Saturday was my roommate Holly's birthday party and so that night I sat around and ate cake and talked to people that I didn't know. At around 10pm we went outside and set up a little movie area with a projector and everything it was a nice setup but the grass was a little wet and we couldn't figure out why. Afterwards we found out that Adrienne had watered the lawn not thinking about the movie moment, she just thought that it looked a little dry there and was trying to save the lawn. Luckily, it wasn't soaking wet or anything so it's all good.

Sunday I went to church and after Jason got off work he came to pick me up to make me dinner. He made bacon fried rice and barbecued some terriyaki chicken and it was really good, we didn't get to eat until like 9 though because he had bought a wok the night before and we didn't get around to seasoning it until then...that is quite a long drawn out process. I remember Mom seasoning the dutch oven that they never use that's been sitting out in the garage for who knows how long. Let's just say that's a process that I don't want to have to repeat, why can't all pans come already seasoned?

Monday, Jason cooked me dinner that night as well and he made Tacos and they were really good. I hadn't had homemade Tacos since leaving home back in April and I can say that I really miss my parents cooking (you guys are amazing in the kitchen! I look forward to you coming out next month and maybe making me something tasty...you know, if you want to). Tuesday night I went with Jason and his brother and roommate to Del Taco and it was really an interesting experience. I have to tell you that this was at like 10pm and I don't think I will go to a fast food place around that time ever again. This might sound kind of mean saying it but there were a lot of weird people that came in at that time. There was a security guard guy that came in before us and he actually parked his car in the drive thru lane and came inside and ordered 6 tacos and ate those and then ordered 3 more he left at the same time we did so I hope that no one was trying to come through the drive thru at that time. Then there was a girl that came in and she was asking the guy at the counter if she could buy stamps there and she was carrying a lot of shopping bags and I don't think she ordered anything. She just stood at the counter for probably 10 minutes before moving over towards our table and she ended up taking to Jason's roommate Brent for a bit and she was really coherent from what it sounded like. It was definately an interesting night.

I had received a call from Brittany earlier in the week telling me that she had received a package from Jordan and Christina for Sisters Day and they sent me a present. I didn't get down there until Wednesday night to pick it up and they had sent me some really sturdy magnets (Thank You Guys...we actually needed those). Hayley and Tia wanted to have a Sisters Day since there is a Mother's Day and a Father's Day so Brittany and I were to celebrate Sisters Day on Thursday July 17. I called Brittany to wish her a happy Sisters Day but she didn't get my message until Friday so that's how we celebrated. It's ok Brittany, we can just say that we celebrated it a little early since we saw each other on Wednesday night. Thursday night I went with Eden to a ward party at someone's house and we just watched people play volleyball and tried to avoid hornets who were really interested in my Taco. Yes, it's true I had Tacos a few times last week...what can I say, I like them.

On Friday, Jason and I both need to renew our driver's licenses which expire next month so we went to the DMV around 3:30 hoping to get in and out before they closed at 5:30...the line was huge and we weren't willng to wait that long so we just left and decided to come back on Monday morning at 7am when they open...hoping to beat the rush. This morning Jason came to pick me up at 6:30am and we went to the DMV and there was a line going halfway through the parking lot, so much for being first in line. We ended up waiting about an hour and a half before getting called up to do the testing. I had kind of psyched myself out thinking that it was going to be hard and that I might fail it but luckily it was open book. I got to take my test on the computer system which was nice because then I could find out my score right away instead of taking the written version and having to wait. I'm proud to say that I passed so I can still drive but...I'm very disappointed in my drivers license picture...I look like I'm disgusted at something in the background and I just don't look happy. I tried not to smile too bif because in some of the pictures in Europe I smiled really big and my eyes bugged out and I didn't want that to happen so I just smiled a little bit and I think I'm more disppointed in that...if only they would have let me take it again. Jordan, do you remember my School ID pictures? It's like one of those. Oh well, hopefully I don't really have to show it to anyone...I still have my Oregon license but they poked holes in the bottom so that you can't really use it anymore...I'm disappointed in that too, that picture on my Oregon license was perfect, why can't they just cut that picture out and paste it on the Utah license, wouldn't that be easier? Ok probably not but at least I would be happy with the picture. I just need to let it go and not worry about that too much. Well I don't have anything else to really report but I'll update again soon. Talk to you all later...

2 comments:

C said...

Don't worry Heather. My first license picture: looked like a Chinese boy. The lady behind the counter even told me my hair looked funny before she snapped the shot. My second license picture: looked high. My third, turned out perfect.... lost it. My fourth, the DMV didn't send me, and finally told me I had to come in and get my picture retaken.??? My sixth and final driver's license sits in the very back of my wallet. Fatty face, high on drugs, AND Chinese. I give up.

Unknown said...

Yeah seriously--the DMV here is ridiculous! I think I waited 2 1/2 hrs to take that open book test. I'm pretty sure Arizona knows what it is doing by giving out driver's licenses that expire on your 65th birthday. I was looking forward to not having to get my license renewed until 2047... Ah well :)