Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Job Hunt

Now that I have moved to Utah my days have consisted of hours on the internet looking for a job, reading up on the news, watching movies or hanging out with family and friends. The job hunt is the most difficult part right now because well...I need SOME kind of income. I had heard a few months back that Salt Lake City is one of the best places to find a job but I'm not sure if that is exactly true. Sure, there are a lot of listings online and in the newspaper but they are all jobs that I am either way underqualified for or those that I am overqualified for. It can get frustrating when all that you are seeing are Installation Technicians, Pharmaceutical Reps, CNC Machinest (what does that mean anyway?!) or even a Buyer (What does that entail? I like to buy things). I did see that Jamba Juice is hiring but that might be a step back in the wrong direction. I've had my resume revised probably about 10 times in the last 2 weeks and I haven't sent it in to anyone yet...again because I feel I am underqualified or overqualified... I have a Bachelors Degree in English Literature for goodness sake. I'm just trying to find something that I will actually enjoy doing, something where my talents and skills will be appreciated, is that too much to ask for? I looked on craigslist for a few jobs but they seemed a little iffy, plus I'm a little hesitant after the craigslist fiasco in Oregon last month. However, I always have in mind something that my dad said "if they can't afford to pay for an ad, they can't afford to pay you." Well...I must have dismissed that phrase today because I got fed up looking at openings and found a job on craiglist and after deliberating with myself whether or not to do it, I sent my resume anyway (Sorry Dad). I received a phone call an hour later and they want me to come in for an interview on Thursday. After talking to the lady on the phone I'm regretting sending the resume in because it's not something I am really interested in and I don't have a lot of experience in the real estate field. I'm still looking around, maybe I'll come across something just perfect for me working in a museum or actually using my degree for something...hopefully before Thursday...

No comments: