Saturday, April 25, 2009

I hope this isn't too morbid...

I know that this might sound strange but I have always had an interest in walking through cemeteries. When dad and I would go on our walks while living in Medford sometimes he would take me to the oldest cemetery there and we'd just walk around and read the headstones. I'm not really sure why I like doing this because it does sound creepy, but I think I like the history, just thinking of the kind of life that these people lived. It's really interesting when you actually know the story behind some of the people that are buried there. This past Sunday Jason took me to the Salt Lake Cemetery, which is huge we walked for about 2 miles and still didn't see everything. In this cemetery is where a lot of the pioneers and prophets have been buried over the years. Most of the prophets graves are marked by obelisks, so they stand out and naturally draw you to them. We saw one very large one and walked towards it, it was in remembrance of Hyrum Smith who was actually laid to rest in Nauvoo. We saw the graves of John Taylor, Willford Woodruff, Joseph Fielding Smith, Joseph F. Smith, Heber J. Grant, David O. McKay, and Gordon B. Hinckley. Like I said we didn't get a chance to walk around the whole thing because our feet were aching and it was getting really warm, but we do plan on going back when it's nice outside again and trying to find some of the other noteable people in lds history.






The picture below came our dark but this is Heber J. Grants:

I thought that it was interesting to see so that's why I'm posting them. This past week we've just been working and trying to spend time with one another. It's been hard when Jason's schedule is working the night shift and I work the days so sometimes we just see each other for 2 hours before its time to go to bed and start all over again. I know that many of you did that when you were in your early married stages but wow, it's hard stuff. We are so excited to see Kevin, Nicole, Noah, and Abbie Mae this week and hopefully the weather will be nice enough where we will get to play wiffle ball again. I'll let you know who wins! Love you all,

1 comment:

Smith family said...

I think it is interesting to visit some of these old cemeteries to see who is buried there. And then you start thinking of all the family members and other friends that have visited and paid their respect at that very spot through the years, where it becomes a popular church history site, as well. I've often wondered where these church leaders were buried and now we know, thanks to you! I'd like to see these historical sites next time we're in town.